W. Matthew Wilson
Matthew Wilson is recognized as one of Atlanta's top young trial lawyers. As a general practice litigator, he has experience in personal injury, wrongful death, medical malpractice, civil and administrative appeals, class actions, multi-district litigation, and complex business litigation cases.
Prior to joining Akin & Tate, Matthew worked at the firm of former Georgia Governor Roy Barnes where he helped recover over $15.8 million for his clients in just his first two years of practice. This impressive record led to Matthew's recent recognition by the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association as a rising leader within the plaintiff's bar.
Matthew also brings with him his years of public service and political skill. After graduating the University of Georgia, Matthew taught sixth-graders at an inner-city, low-income public school in Texas as part of the national Teach For America program. After moving back to Georgia, Matthew spent two years as a political consultant in Atlanta that included helping the State Bar of Georgia successfully complete a twenty-five year effort to update Georgia’s rules of evidence. Matthew continues to draw upon his political skills to advocate for his clients and can be found under the Gold Dome when legislative action threatens the rights of his clients or Georgia consumers.
Matthew joined Akin & Tate in 2016, opening the firm’s Atlanta office.
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2016
- Named to Leadership Atlanta’s LEAD Class of 2017
- Graduate of Georgia Trial Lawyers Association LEAD Class, 2016
- National Order of the Barristers, 2014
- Pupil, Lumpkin Inn of Court, 2014
- Recognized as the outstanding trial advocate for his graduating class,
UGA School of Law, 2014
- State Bar of Georgia
- Court of Appeals of Georgia
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court – Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals – 11th Circuit
- American Association for Justice
- American Bar Association
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association
- Stonewall Bar Association
- J.D., cum laude, University of Georgia School of Law, 2014
- Georgia Journal of International and Comparative Law
- B.S., magna cum laude, University of Georgia, 2006
- Board of Directors, Georgia Watch
- Board of Governors, Red Clay Democrats
- Board of Directors, Stonewall Bar Association
- Member, All Saints' Episcopal Church